Our open water package includes:
- PADI Open Water Diver Course [4 days]
- Your own PADI eManual*, log book & certification
Duration: 4 Days,
Open Water course pre requisites:
- You must be at least 10 years old
- You must be able to swim 200 meters and tread water for 10 minutes
***IMPORTANT*** Please check the PADI medical guide by clicking here to ensure that the that there is nothing that will prevent you in taking this course.
At DJL Diving Koh Tao we teach PADI Open Water classes with a maximum group size of 4. That means our experienced western instructors can make sure everyone has a great experience and qualifies as a safe confident diver. Plus you'll have a great time learning to scuba dive here on Koh Tao! Here are details of exactly what's involved in the Open Water course:
Day 1 [Afternoon 4pm start]: Scuba Diving Theory
- We'll start with an academics session covering scuba diving basics. We'll cover
topics such as:
- How a set of scuba gear works
- Relationship between depth, pressure and volume
- How water pressure affects your body
- We'll watch some videos, discuss the content & complete some simple quizzes to test your understanding.[Don't worry - the minimum age to learn to scuba dive with PADI is 10 years old so you shouldn't find it too demanding].
Day 2 [Morning]: Dive Planning
- You can't just dive as deep as you want, for as long as you want and expect to be ok!
- Scuba dives must be planned - depth, bottom time etc. - we'll teach you to do this by using PADI's recreational dive planner.
- We'll practice some examples, then complete a multiple choice exam to finish off your academics.
Day 2 [Afternoon]: Confined Water [Shallow] Skills Practice
- Now it's time to get your scuba diving gear on & head into shallow water for your first dive in our swimming pool.
- We'll start by learning lots of scuba skills in the pool, so no waves to worry about as may be the case if you were doing this in the sea (although there aren't usually too manny waves around the beaches of Koh Tao). This will include equipment assembly & buddy checks, mask & regulator clearing, alternate air source exercises, buoyancy skills & ascent procedures.
- We'll conduct your confined water dive in the DJL pool – this is convenient as it’s next to the Dive shop and many people do find it more comfortable to do these sessions in the pool so that whilst you’re mastering basic skills you don't deal with different conditions and waves as in the sea.
Day 3 [Afternoon]: Open Water Koh Tao Dives 1 & 2
- Your first two 'proper dives' will be to a maximum depth of 12 metres.
- Each dive will be approximately 40 minutes long - we'll repeat some of your shallow skills a little deeper plus explore the Koh Tao dive sites.
- Typical dive sites are 'The Japanese Gardens' or 'Twins' at Koh Nangyuan - you'll be diving on coral reefs and around shallow pinnacles.
Out in the open water Koh Tao has incredible marine species to enjoy. Expect to see masses of colorful corals - table, plate, staghorn & brain corals. Plus experience Koh Tao's great marine life - you'll see millions of tropical reef fish [butterfly, anglelfish, triggerfish . . . ] plus experience some of our diverse marine species such as blue spotted stingrays, moray eels and squid!
Day 4 [Morning]: Open Water Koh Tao Dives 3 & 4
- For the last two dives of the course, we'll get right down to 18 metres.By now, you should be controlled & comfortable in the water so we can visit the more distant dive sites, such as Chumphon Pinnacles.
- Here you'll get to see some of Koh Tao's bigger fish - barracudas, giant grouper, even grey reef & occasional whale sharks [harmless!].
- For the last two dives of your scuba course, an underwater videographer will accompany you, capturing footage of your underwater experiences on film.
Day 4 [Evening]: Certification & Diving Movie
- We'll celebrate you completing your PADI Open Water Koh Tao Course by watching your diving movie [enjoyed over a couple of cold beers!].
- We'll complete your certification paperwork, and you'll be issued with your PADI Open Water Koh Tao certification.
- This is a diving certification for life, allowing you to dive dive with a buddy, to 18 metres in conditions similar to those in which you learned to dive.
Accommodation Options - Sairee Beach Koh Tao, Dive Resort
There are restaurants, shops and relaxed beach bars within short walking distance and of course the dive school swimming pool. If you would like to book one of our fan rooms it will have 24 hour electricity, en-suite bathroom with western toilet and electric fan, cable TV & WiFi. If you need an air conditioned room/bungalow they are also available at the Silver Sands Resort.
The Koh Tao Backpackers Hostel near the Davy Jones Locker pool bar has 4 bedroom & 8 bedroom dormitories. While the dormitories don't have en-suite bathrooms, the shared shower and toilet facilities are all western toilets & hot water showers, with security lockers in the dorms, free WiFi, CCTV and 24hr electricity and reception.
We start PADI [Open Water courses on Koh Tao] every day at 4pm so you can start on the day you arrive providing you arrive on one of the ferries that get to the island before then. Also if you let us know in advance whichever ferry it is that you are coming on, then we can arrange to collect you from the pier when you arrive. You can book in your ferry to the island through this website Ferry Samui here.