PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor Course [OWSI] at Davy Jones Locker
The Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) program is one of two distinct components of PADI’s Instructor Development Course (IDC). The first portion is the Assistant Instructor course followed by the Open Water Scuba Instructor program.
The OWSI program is six days. It introduces you to the entire PADI System of diver education and concentrates on further developing your abilities as a professional dive educator.
You’ll also have the opportunity to continue your professional education by participating in specialty instructor courses, which train you to teach specialties after instructor certification.
See our IDC Schedule here.
So why would you choose to take your IDC with DJL?
Here's a few reasons that we can think of;
- ALL COURSES TAUGHT BY PLATINUM RATED COURSE DIRECTOR PETER NIEUWHOF
- FREE 2 WEEKS OF FUN DIVES / ASSISTING ON COURSES PRIOR TO YOUR IDC
- FREE 3 DAY IDC PREP COURSE (SKILL CIRCUIT AND DIVE THEORY LECTURES)
- FREE LUNCH INCLUDED DURING THE IDC
- FREE DAVY JONES LOCKER T-SHIRT
- FREE NITROX INSTRUCTOR QUALIFICATION
- FREE INTRO TO TECH (PRESENTATION AND POOL DIVE)
- FREE DIVING FOR LIFE @ DJL KOH TAO
- We also have a Instructor Exam (I.E.) pass guarantee, if you don't pass first time then we'll pay for your next IDC/I.E.
The course requires you to complete all the self-study Knowledge Reviews before the course begins and to prepare daily assignments for teaching presentations daily. Organization and dedication are key.
What You Learn
During the course you’ll learn how to the PADI System of Education works by presenting at least
- Two confined water teaching presentations
- Two knowledge development presentations
- One open water teaching presentations integrating two skills
You will also attend and participate in the following 14 curriculum presentations:
- Course Orientation
- Dive Industry Overview
- General Standards and Procedures
- The Role of Media and Prescriptive Teaching
- Legal Responsibility and Risk Management
- PADI Scuba Diver and Open Water Diver Course
- Adaptive Teaching
- The PADI Continuing Education Philosophy Business Principles for the Dive Instructor
- Adventures in Diving Program
- Specialty Diver Courses and Master Scuba Diver Program
- Rescue Diver Course
- Divemaster Course
- Diver Retention Programs
- How to Teach the RDP (Instructors from recreational diver training organizations other than PADI must complete.)
You will demonstrate competence at
- performing all 20 dive skills listed on the Skill Evaluation.
- performing a facedown, nonstop swim for 800 metres/yards using a mask, snorkel and fins.
During the course you’ ll need to demonstrate competency in Dive theory by passing a five-part theory exam scoring 75% on each part .
What can you teach after completing the course?
After qualifiying as an Open Water Scuba Instructor, you will be able to conduct the entire range of PADI programs from Discover Scuba Diving up to Divemaster. You may also choose to acquire specialty instructor ratings in areas of interest, such as Digital Underwater Photographer or Enriched Air(Nitrox) Diver, we include the Enriched Air Instructor course for free at DJL provided you are already a Enriched Air (Nitrox) Diver.
What will you Use?
You use all the basic scuba equipment and some scuba accessories such as a dive slate, dive knife, compass, dive watch, etc. as well as two scuba signaling devices —one audible and one visual.
We recommended that you own all of your own scuba equipment at this level, as familiarity with personal gear improves general scuba diving skills. If you don't already own all the equipment you require then you'll be welcome to buy any equipment through our dive shop as we receive discounted rates from suppliers for being good customers.
What materials do you need?
The PADI IDC crewpak includes all the materials needed to prepare for a PADI Assistant Instructor or Open Water Scuba Instructor course. The pack includes:
- Instructor cue cards for PADI’s core courses (OW, AOW, Rescue and Divemaster)
- IDC Candidate Workbook and related reference materials,
- Lesson planning slates for confined and open water
- Quiz and exam booklets for the core courses
- Specialty outlines for Project AWARE
We can supply you with the IDC Crewpak and EFR Instructor Manual for you at cost of 18,500 Baht
- Be certified as a PADI Divemaster or a PADI Assistant Instructor or be an instructor in good standing with another training organization for at least six months (check with a PADI Course Director or Contact Us for qualifying credentials.)
- Be certified as an Emergency First Response Instructor
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be certified as a diver for at least six months
- Have 60 logged dives that include experience in night, deep and navigation diving to participate in the Instructor Development Course. You’ll need 100 logged dives to take the Instructor Exams
- Have proof of CPR and First Aid training within the last 24 months. The Emergency First Response course meets this requirement? Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement if you like you can contact us for a copy of the PADI medical form to check first before you come.
Course price 39,900 Baht (this is for the Bronze IDC package, excluding the IDC Crewpak materials & IE fee which is payable directly to PADI, see our other available IDC packages by clicking here)
|< Prev||Next >|